Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Killer crab cakes



This was going to be our first entertaining session at our new home. And therefore it had to be something special. I used the new cookbook which I had recently bought from Costco, Soups, Salads and Starters from William Sonoma. It had gorgeous pictures and was well organised. So, I was browsing for some recipes in the book when I found a recipe for crab cakes. I also decided to do a potato leek soup from finedinings.com. For the main dish we decided on shrimp biryani. We had first seen the recipe for shrimp biryani on malayalamanoroma but when I looked for it on that day it seemed like they had removed it from their website. Luckily I had
a printed out copy of the same recipe. I will post that recipe later.

For now, here is the recipe for crab cakes
Unsalted butter 2tablespoon
Green onions 6 (thinly sliced including tender green tops)
Celery stalks 2small (chopped)


In a frying pan over low heat,melt the butter. Add the green onions and celery. Cover and cook ,stirring occasionally for about 10min till soft. Remove and allow to cool.

Saltine crackers 6 (crushed)
Dry musttard 1 tablespoon ( I used hot mustard as that is what I had on hand)
Hot pepper sauce 1 teaspoon
Worcestershire sauce 2 teaspoons
Eggs 2 well beaten
Mayonnaise 1/4 cup
Fresh parsley 3 tablespoon finely chopped
Crabmeat 1 lb cooked ( I used canned frozen crab meat bought from
Costco, save some time and energy)
Salt and pepper To taste


To the cooled onion-celery mixture, add the above ingredients.


Toasted bread crumbs About 2 cups


If the mixture is too wet to hold its shape, add enough bread crumbs,about 1/2 cup pr as needed to absorb the moisture. Shape the mixture into 6 cakes. Place the remaining bread crumbs in a shallow dish . Dredge the cakes lightly in the crumbs.

Vegetable oil To fry About 4 tablespoon

In a frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Add half of the crab cakes and saute, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Serve with remoulade sauce.


The crab cakes turned out perfect and was delicious. I had used frozen crab meat from Costco instead of making fresh crab meat at home. Otherwise I followed the recipe as it is. This was by far the best crab cakes ever. Overall the dinner was a success.

The following picture is an omelette I made the next day with a filling of the above crab cake mixture.