Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Great pancakes!

I am a person who usually works three days a week and I am home for the rest four days. Typically, I am very busy at work and am lucky if I can manage some time for cereal. So, the days I am off I try to have something nice and hearty for breakfast.For some reason last night I felt like having some pancakes for dinner and I found a lemon ricotta pancake recipe from Amy. This has almost become a trusted spot for me to look for recipes. But the plan to have breakfast menu for dinner did not materialise as I fell prey to laziness after a walk near the beach. We ended up having some leftover rice and fish for dinner.

This morning, I woke up all eager to try out the new recipe. One another reason I was attracted to the recipe was that I had all the ingredients in my pantry. So, I made the pancakes and although it said that it was enough for 2, I ended up eating all the pancakes alone.I had also made sausage but was too full to have it. I loved the pancakes so much that I am thinking of making some for Satish when he gets back from work. And I can see myself making this pancake when I have friends over for breakfast.

Here is the recipe

1/3 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg; separated
2 T low-fat milk
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 t grated lemon rind {I used some lemon juice}

Blend egg yolk and ricotta cheese then add milk, flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon rind and salt mixing until completely blended. Beat egg white in another mixing bowl until just stiff but still moist. Fold gently into batter. Heat large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.( I used butter, but I will use cooking spray when cooking for S). Drop batter by heaping tablespoonful onto skillet, and cook until golden brown on the bottom then gently flip and cook on other side. Serve immediately.

I got 6 pancakes although the recipe said 8,maybe because my pancake batter was a little thick. The pancakes are not too sweet and the beaten egg whites make it really soft. And they hardly take any time to make.