Friday, March 11, 2005

Asparagus Rolls


I had only read and seen pictures about this vegetable when I was in India...So it has been only about 2 years since I have tasted an asparagus and it was love at first bite. I have tried only the fresh asparagus but I have seen them frozen and canned. I try to stick with fresh as much as I can..They are available all year round but may be a little expensive but who cares..it is totally worth it.

Americans love this vegetable and the asparagus festival is proof enough. In India festivals are reserved for the gods,...so this might be a reflection of how important food is for Americans. Anyway let us came back to the vegetable..Here is a site if you believe in growing your own asparagus
Here is a wonderful way to try this wonderful veggie....I had found this recipe and had adapted it as I did not have all the listed ingredients but this recipe earned rave reviews.This is a great appetizer and is best served warm.

Asparagus rolls

12 slices bread slices (use the thin whole wheat sandwich slices if u can get them)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 green onions sliced thin
Black pepper a few grinds
2 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
24 asparagus spears
Butter
Parmesan cheese(optional)

Combine the mayonnaise and sour cream. Add the bacon, green onions and black pepper to this.
Trim and blanch the asparagus.
Spread the above mixture on a bread slice, place 2 spears at one end and roll the bread. Place it on a baking sheet seam side down.Secure using a toothpick it it unrolls.
Brush the rolls with butter and sprinkle with cheese(optional).
Bake at 400°F for 10min or until slightly brown.
This recipe should serve 4 adults.